Search Topic / Post

Google

Latest AMV from AnimeMusicVideos.org

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Simple Karaoke SFX for FLCL-Terharu

I decided to do karaoke SFX for my FLCL-Terharu amv today and finally gather my courage to try the process. Years ago I download the SSA subtitler tool and I'm totally lost. I never had any courage to try karaoke sfx again after that. I alwas envy people who can do great karaoke sfx especially in horor / goth-loli themed anime fansubs.

However, a friend request me a karaoke or at least a sub for my amv. I always thought a simple srt file is not appropriate for music videos although I made many before using Subtitle Workshop. Perhaps this is the right chance for me to try sfx once more, I thought.

This time I downloaded Aegisub. This is an advance & easy subtitle editor for ASS / SSA format - used by many to create subs & SFX.

I found Aegisubs relatively easy to understand & operate, even without manual. Unless someone never really tried subtitling before. For more info about Aegisub please visit the wikipedia. I tried Sabbu before but I think Aegisubs is better IMO.

Aegisub Editor Window


Subtitle in action

For this karaoke sfx, I use very basic method of styling coz I'm still experimenting all those option & settings. The sfx help file (internet) is unavailable ATM. I use the font CroissantD. If you guys don't have the font, don't worry. I did attach it with the file (it's actually merged with the .ass file so you don't have to manually install it.

You will need the Vsfilter (DirectVobSub) to load the subtitle while playing the video. If you have any kind of codec pack installed it's most likely that directVobSub is already in your system. If you don't, get CCCP here. You might need to turn off the "Pre-buffer subpictures" option in DirectVobSub to make sure the karaoke works.

The .ass styling is rather basic but you still need a fair PC to play the karaoke smoothly. A mid Pentium III pc is needed.

BTW, this subtitle is sync to match the HQ version of FLCL - Terharu amv. You can get the video here.

get FLCL-Terharu-amv.zip

Enjoy!